Re: A LAB TO SHARE

He poured in molten dielectric? He musta made electrets!

bc

Brian Whatcott wrote:

When I looked over Faraday's Eleventh series of experiments
wherein he first discovers the variation of the 'specific electric
induction' or dielectric constant of different dielectric solids
in his 'inductive apparatus', which was a gas-tight
coaxial spherical capacitor, I see that he demonstrates charge
recovery in a single dielectric slab, and later explores the
concept with a split slab of one material among which he
favored wax, shellac and fused suphur as the best materials
he could find for the purpose.
All the same, I recall he checked for the action of dissimilar
layers elsewhere, ascribing an effect to slow conduction
of a charge through one layer or another. In this series, he
mentions avoiding the effect, as being an unnecessary
complication.
(para 1217, Series XI Nov 1837)

Brian W