Re: spouting resonance bowl

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, kyle forinash wrote:

Well I bought one of those resononce bowls that are suppose to spout
water when you rub the handles. I saw it working in a movie so I don't
think I was taken (yet!) but I can't get it to work. Can anyone point me
in the right direction? (It did not come with directions.)

It works like rubbing a wineglass rim... therefore the palms of your hand
must first be degreased. If you can get your hands to "squeak" when
rubbed on the polished metal, then the stick-slip will drive the whole
thing in one of the resonance modes.

Question for all: are the "spouted" droplets coming from the peaks of
soliton surface waves? Perhaps a strobe light could detect whether the
standing waves are sloshing at 1/2 the frequency of the vibrating bowl.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L