Re: virtual images and convex lenses

On Saturday, January 05, 2002 5:05 PM, John S. Denker wrote:
[snip]

Robert Cohen wrote:
I wear glasses
with diverging lens. I'd say that *everything* I see is a
virtual image.
If there is a problem with how I use "see" then is it
possible to even "see"
objects?

I don't object to this use of the word "see".

But I think it is an abuse of the highly specific technical
term "virtual image".

Suppose you take off your glasses and look through a piece
of window-glass. Window glass is a completely non-image-forming
system. Does that mean you can't see anything? I doubt it!

To my way of thinking, the only image that really matters
is the real image formed upon the retina. In ordinary situations
it is formed by the lens etc. of the eye, with perhaps a few percent
of help from eyeglasses.

To my way of thinking, the image is there regardless of whether someone is
there to "record" it.

Is it incorrect to think of a piece of window-glass as obeying the thin lens
equation?
If not, is it incorrect to think of a piece of window-glass as having
f=infty?
If not, is it incorrect to think of a piece of window-glass as causing a
virtual image at the location of the object?
Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; http://www.esu.edu/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ, E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301