Re: Effective HS Physics (was Statistics / more ...)

Verify please: No text using teachers have "better success", as measured by
....... I'm guilty of skimming that thread.

I suspect this may be self selecting. i.e. such teachers will have greater
enthusiasm (to which BW refers), more experience, (I think it would be foolhardy
for a beginner to not use a text.), considerably more organized, and not be
required to teach to a std. test or use a state/district mandated text.

Such people, already "don't use a text" in that they supplement and minimize it
in their teaching. Yes?

bc

P.s. Of course if one is teaching a narrow Univ. level ot grad course, there may
be no text and one's research and the lit.. will be the text. In HS I was
offered credit for Basin and Range Province as part of a Paleo./Geolo. six week
expedition led by the Math/bio. teacher. No text obviously. Do other HS's
offer such courses for credit?

Brian Whatcott wrote:

At 09:16 PM 1/2/02, Dan MacIsaac responded to this:
It is not PC to mention it, but an important predictor of
academic test results is that old faithful, the IQ measure.
This measure is designed to be normally distributed.
A high school may expect to see student results in general that are

cut

But I really hoped someone would pick up on your no textbook proposition -
it is so intuitively appealing. The *next* time someone asks for a
physics book recommendation (an almost monthly event, I sometimes think:)
I hunger to read that someone is advising:
- "dump it in the round file: list the physics topics you have something
interesting to talk about - and go for it!"

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!