Re: Costs of textbooks

Other factors to look at in comparing text book prices to the past (some of
which have probably been mentioned).

1) The overall rise in book prices. The latest (pulp) fiction books are
running $25-$30 and those are single color prints on cheap paper.

2) The rise in the cost of paper--beyond inflation--due to a number of
factors, not the least being environmental protection concerns (we all pay
for these things).

3) Full color illustrations and photos versus 1, 2, and 4 color versions of
earlier books. These usually had no photos and few
illustrations/figures--especially in the problem sections.

4) Increased coverage (bloat) that has pushed most intro texts to near or
more than 1000 pages.

5) Plus all the 'extras' already mentioned.

I'm not arguing the merits of any of this.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--DYNAMIC CARTS now available.
CD-ROMs now available