Re: Costs of textbooks

I, too, decry the high cost of text books, yet ...

Some factors missing from this thread on textbook costs is the role of the
used book industry, the federal tax codes, and the widespread production of
"instructors' resources."

Before the used textbook industry became rampant, introductory texts could
be used for many years with few changes. Now, there are so many used copies
of the text floating about that the demand for new books essentially
vanishes by the third year the book is out. Ever wonder why we get new
editions every three years? Ever wonder what that does to the cost of the
book?

Before Reagan-era changes in tax codes, publishers could profitably
warehouse a text. Once that became a liability, they only print enough for
current demand.

Those test banks and CDs and transparency sets and websites cost money.

"Thanks to the invention of the telescope,
planets that are 100 billion miles away look
to be only 50 billion miles away."
--John Wagner

George Spagna
Department of Physics