Re: Costs of textbooks

Roger!

My one year old bug (purchased 1960/1) was $1200 -- They were, if my memory is
better than yours, $1795. Comparing a bug with a millennium Toyota (or the new
beetle) is apples and oranges. Did the bug have seat belts (I had to install mine,
and they were only lap belts) not to mention air bags and anti-lock brakes?!!!!
BTW very cheap (both senses) Fords, etc. are under $10k. That's only ~5X and even
they are better than the bug, e.g. will go faster than 60 mph (all that mine would
go until engine rebuilt with ~ 100 more cc.). For the first six months I was
driving it, whenever I met another, we honked! Then there were too many of us.

bc

P.s. It didn't even have a gas gauge!! and the rear window was minuscule. It was
advanced over the previous model tho., i.e. syncro. in first!!!!

Roger Haar wrote:

Hi,
I think you will find the cost of cars has gone
up more than 10X. As I recall a VW bug was about
$1000. Candy bars were $0.05 in the 60's for
machines so that is dead at 10X. Personally, I
fancy the candy bar standard rather than the gold
standard. I think the stock market Dow Jones
average is more the 10X the mid sixties level I
think the dow broke 1000 for the first time in the
seventies.

Thanks
Roger Haar

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

My Panofsky and Phillips was $9.75 (ca. 1961) and Jenkins and White $8.50 (ca.
1959). The only common costs (that I can think of) that have increased more
than 10X are medical and housing.

bc

SNIP