Re: Costs of textbooks

I've heard of another reason for taking notes: even if one doesn't read them
later, the info. will more likely be remembered, because of the act of writing
(in addition to hearing) -- is this true?

bc

kowalskil wrote:

Consider the following approach (for an introductory
physics course, or for another course for which numerous
textbooks are available. A teacher tells students
something like this:

"Our course has no particular textbook. I will be using
many textbooks and you are expected to take good notes.
Use any textbook you can find to help you but count on
the notes taken. ..."

That was essentially the situation when I was a student.
We knew that missing classes was highly undesirable and
we learned by taking notes. Taking notes is not a purely
mechanical process of recording; one must constantly
think and decide what is worth writing down. In most
cases taking notes is a process of active participation.
The Internet can then be used to post homework problems
and to discuss the material. What is wrong with this?
Ludwik Kowalski

From: Laurent Hodges <lhodges@IASTATE.EDU>

The cost of textbooks is worrisome to me. We had a lecturer plan to use
one of the major textbooks, in the multi-paperback version, and the cost
was quoted as nearly $200 (for students). I stepped in and contacted the
rep, saying we wouldn't adopt it at that price. They eventually gave us a
special deal, dropping the price by 1/3 - still expensive.