Re: Mathematical name of curved triangle

This thread reminds me of the wheels on a dolly used to carry loads up (and down)
stairs. I took a photo' of one in use in the Kremlin when the statues of Marx
and Lenin were still in the park overlooking the Moscow river ('90). I haven't
seen one since. The wheel is three wheels mounted on a fourth larger wheel that
is on the axle of the dolly.

bc

Larry Cartwright wrote:

That's called the Reuleaux triangle, named after 19th century engineer
Franz Reuleaux. Applied physics connection: It is the shape of the
rotor in the famous Wankel engine, which I believe Honda is still
tweaking in hopes of someday conquering the gremlins.

BTW, mathguy Paul Kunkel has a couple of Reuleaux java applets at
<http://www.nas.com/~kunkel/reuleaux/reuleaux.htm>.

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright <exit60@cablespeed.com>
Retired (June 2001) Physics Teacher
Charlotte MI 48813 USA

"Paul O. Johnson" wrote:

We are making a tabletop exhibit at The Science Place that I remember seeing
in the Exploratorium Snackbook. It consists of an axle and two wheels that
can be made to roll across the table. The explorer makes the wheels roll by
pushing either a long narrow board over the axle or a long wider board over
the two wheels.

If we used normal circular wheels, either board would have a smooth ride
(not rise and fall) as the wheels roll. But the wheels are not circular;
they are curved equilateral triangles--each side is defined by scribing an
arc from the opposite vertex. The radius of these wheels thus varies with
rotation angle but the diameter remains constant. Therefore, the narrow
board riding the axle has a bumpy ride while the wide board riding the
wheels has a smooth ride.

In writing the sign for this exhibit, I found that I do not know the
mathematical name for this curved triangle. I feel there must be such a
name, mathematicians name every conceivable geometric figure. Can anyone
help me with this?