Re: history question

At 05:20 PM 11/29/01 -0700, you wrote:
When did physics stop getting called natural philosophy and start getting
called physics?

Thanks,
Larry
I don't think you can give a precise date. I remember reading
Michael Faraday describing why he was adopting the title physic over
natural philosophy to describe what he was doing. I suspect the "natural
philosophers" had to mostly die out. Both terms have ancient histories.
At the end of the nineteenth century the "Philosophical Magazine"
was still one of the principle journals for publishing new physics.

Gary