Re: Historical material

Larry Cartwright wrote:
I think history of science is best served as dessert, after basic
nutrition has been assured. Or perhaps as with herbs, carefully used as
an adjunct to the recipe, but not in such strength as to become the
predominant flavor. Or like a fine dinner wine, exquisite but not
really to be drunk for its own sake. Ooooooh, I hope this doesn't start
a can-you-top-this simile contest on Phys-L :-)

As a physicist turned instructor of the history of science, this has been my
experience too. How about "like adding color to a black and white film".
It adds interest and stimulation.

Don Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corp.