Re: Returning of tests

I grade and return all exams & problem sets (all of which count towards
their course grade) and remind them that the set of physics problems is
essentially infinite, so that memorizing specific problems is usually a
waste of time. My exams are 4 problems to be worked out in detail with
partial credit given for correct work. Before each exam, I give them a
copy of last year's exam as a practice test while cautioning that exams
vary from year to year (sometime a little harder, sometimes a little
easier). Their final exam is 8 problems distributed throughout the
semesters material as best as I can devise.
James Mackey
Harding University

Tim O'Donnell wrote:

How many people return and allow the students to keep
tests? I go over the tests, but I recollect them. That is
"standard" procedure here. What about others?

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur