Re: Value of Homework

I assign it regularly (almost every night) and check
it randomly (but NOT every day) for a
completion/effort grade. Frequent quizzes based on the
HW serve as a good proxy for HW diligence. I gave up
grading HW when I realized that most was copied and I
was spending more time grading it than many students
were spending doing it. I've explained this philosophy
to many parents with no complaints. John Barrere
--- Tina Fanetti <FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US> wrote:
Hello all
I am currently thinking about next semester. I was
wondering, how ma=
ny assign homework, collect and grade it? How many
just assign the p=
roblems and expect the students to do them on their
own (ie not for a=
grade)?

For those that don't have a specified recitation
section for your cla=
ss, like at a community college, do you spend class
time going over t=
he homework problems? How much time?

Thanks very much
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429