Re: Value of Homework

I am one that views homework as essential to learning. But, students will not be inclined to do it
without it being a substantial portion of their grade. In my course preparation, I want students to
be exposed to a large variety of problems, but I also want to optimize my time (or that of a grad.
assistant) spent on grading. I resolved to assign perhaps 10 problems per week and then
randomly select 5 for grading. That way, a student had to do all of them and I could do less
grading. I have never received a complaint about this method.

I do encourage students to work with others on homework assignment, but demand that the
answers be their own. Those that copy from others tend to do poorly on exams. I also tell
students that the assignments are sufficiently time-consuming that they cannot do them the
night before. I also tell them that if that is their method, they won't have enough time to seek
help before the assignment is due. It works overall and students come in for help throughout the
week or after class.

Take care, David Marx Southern Illinois University