Re: Odyssey Orbit

I realise one enjoys baiting the language fanatics,
but, oh well, I gave everyone else the first shot...

1) the plural of periapsis is periapsides and similarly
the most distant points of orbits are called the apoapsides.
2) a gnomon serves to tell the local time from the angle of
the Sun's shadow, while a mnemonic serves to recall a memorized
datum. (To really stir up a word person, write "mneumonic".)
3) 'Phenomena' is a plural word.
4) Ap- is a famiy name modifier signifying relationship
('son of' in Welsh usage) but exceptionally, see aphelion.
5) Aristotle was in the habit of walking in the Lyceum while teaching,
lending the word 'peripatetic' to his philosophy.

Brian Whatcott