Re: Viruses and Worms

If Macs were as popular as PCs they would have just as much trouble. I
doubt that VMS has much problem with viruses either. The big problem is
that the primary means of defense is an alert user who keeps the defenses
up.

But there are some other things that can be done to prevent infection.
Script Sentry free from http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/ helps monitor and
prevent potentially dangerous scripts from executing. Also a sandbox module
http://www.finjan.com/ or http://www.sandboxsecurity.com/ or
http://www.ealaddin.com/esafe/desktop/index.asp?cf=tl can lock your computer
files when you are browsing or getting mail. The first 2 have free
products, and the Aladdin product used to be free.

In addition a firewall is a good thing to add free from www.zonelabs.com or
www.tinysoftware.com . A firewall blocks viruses from calling home, and
makes them evident, while it also blocks entry from the outside. The
upcoming version of ZoneAlarm Pro (not expensive) from zonelabs combines a
firewall with a script scanner and a partial sandbox module.

Also some virus scanners work better than others, and some viruses spread so
quickly that only daily updates can catch them. A good sandbox should catch
unknown viruses by monitoring their actions.

I have put some basic recommendations at
http://www.hal-pc.org/~clement/security.html

John M. Clement
Houston, TX