Re: ENERGY WITH Q

Ludwik, I give up.

Jim

At 19:45 21 10 2001 , you wrote:
I did not say a word about the first law yet. The name given
to 1.5*N*R*T was "thermal energy", not the INTERNAL
ENERGY. And the the name work was associated with F*s.

I would very much like to know what was wrong in the
presented sequence in terms of its own logic and in terms
of its pedagogy. I do not want to argue about alternative
approaches, or alternative terminology, at this time.
I wrote:

> >The kinetic theory of gasses provides us with the first
> >glimpse of the true nature of caloric. It shows that for a
> >simple case of an ideal gas (mono-atomic molecules)
> >Q can be calculated as 1.5*N*R*T, where N is the
> >number of moles, R is the universal gas constant and
> >T is the absolute temperature. In the first physics course
> >this is usually generalized by saying that the amount of
> >thermal energy present in any object is directly
> >proportional to its absolute temperature.

Jim Green responded:

> Oh my, Ludwik, yes (1.5)NRT is the INTERNAL ENERGY
> but it aint the Q in the First Law. We have been over this so
> many times....Q is (a special kind of) work done external to
> the system -- E/U is the internal energy inside the system. ..

Regards, Ludwik Kowalski

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen