Re: operational F, m, and a (velocity measurements with fish-scal es)

Robert C wrote:

Okay, I think I see JR's point. You are not saying that one
cannot measure
force with a spring

correct

but rather one cannot use the spring to
measure other
forces, right?

No. Let me re-write what you wrote in the way I hope you meant to write it.

but rather one cannot use the spring to
measure other forces, ***without other kinematical measurements***

right?

correct, with my addition. (I also note that the kinematical measurement
must be at least a velocity measurement; and later we will ask if there also
must be an acceleration measurement. Which is to say I realize that John D
agrees that we at least have to make a position measurement)

So, for example, if I want to identify the force of gravity,
I would need to
have a=0 so that I could use F=ma to get Fnet=0 and thus the
other force?

Essentially.

If this is a correct interpretation, then I think JR and JD
are talking
about two different things.

This is my suspicion as well.

JR's argument would be
essentially that if we
only know one of the forces acting on the object, we cannot
infer the other
forces acting on an object without invoking F=ma (and thus a
measurement of
a).

Yes.

JD's argument, on the other hand, seems to be that we can use the
spring scale to calibrate other spring scales regardless of
the acceleration
measurement (since F12=-F21).

Is this right? Or have I completely missed the point?
(which wouldn't
surprise me)

No you haven't completely missed the point.

BTW thanks for your "refereeing"