Re: operational F, m, and a (velocity measurements with fish-scal es)

Michael:

I don't think I have issue with anything you said in the below post.

humour mode = on

(except, perhaps, with the "then I think I started agreeing with John."
part)

:-)

humour mode = off

The fact that I have no issue with what you are saying below is why I think
John D and I are talking about different issues. At least in part.

In the context of what you wrote, imagine that one has taken this
sufficiently ideal spring scale to the surface of the Moon, and make the
determination ". . . that the 0.10194 kg mass doesn't bring the pointer
anywhere close to the 1 newton mark". I'm questioning what is necessarily
involved in making that determination; what does one do to actually decide
that, and lets even try to measure the force on the moon (not just one tick
mark, but calibrate the spring scale with a whole bunch of tick-marks;
presumably done on the earth, but that doesn't matter I think). What is one
actually doing when you measure that force on the surface of the moon with
your scale?

In other words, its what you haven't said that I'm concerned about.

Joel R.