Re: Automatic flushers

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, SSHS KPHOX wrote:

Does anyone know how the automatic toilet flushers in public facilities
work? I'd love to know

Those were designed by the guy down the hall from me. That was at an
earlier employer five years ago. We had the Sloan contract. (These are
the units with the square chrome faceplate and the reddish-black oval
window, sometimes with a blinking red LED seen through the window.)

They use infrared LEDs and photodiodes, and continuously put out brief,
intense IR pulses while looking for received pulses from the outside
world. Everything is run by a fairly sophisticated algorithm running in a
single-chip microprocessor. The details of course are proprietary.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L