Re: Derivative of KE

At 22:04 -0400 10/16/01, Tim O'Donnell wrote:

As I was watching a video with my class (for the unteenth
time) I made a startling observation/conclusion. As a look
at the KE = 1/2mv^2 equation and take the derivative I
believe I get mv which is momentum (p). Now clearly
there has to be a relationship between KE and p simply
because we are talking about the same mass and velocity.
As I understand derivatives, if I was graphing the delta
KE of an object with respect to time, the slope of said
graph would be the momentum of the object at that time.

Not quite. The derivative you took was with respect to *velocity* so
the derivative of KE wrt velocity is indeed the momentum. If you want
the derivative of KE wrt time, you get mv(dv/dt), which is mva.
Rearrange that to (ma)v, and you get Fv, or power, which is what the
rate of change of energy wrt time is.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell