Re: Why work before energy in texts

From: crawford j maccallum <mccallum@UNM.EDU>

> Work is easily defined. Energy is not .. it's just something that we can
> always find some way of accounting that makes it conserved.

At 11:24 PM 10/15/01 -0400, Joe Heafner wrote:
That's it! There's nothing more to it! Read Feynman's story of Dennis the
Menace.

No, that's not it.

I've read Feynman's story and I come to the opposite conclusion. The point
of Feynman's story is to develop an understanding of energy in particular
and conservation in general, _without_ basing it on any prior notion of
work. His point is _not_ that conservation is hard to define; his point
is that even a child can understand it, abstract though it may be.

If work is so easily defined, and so readily usable to explain other bits
of physics, then why have I just read about the distinctions between
-- work
-- real work
-- pseudowork
-- system specific external work
-- frame specific external work
-- et cetera.

How many more epicycles do we need to add to this pre-Copernican view of
work before we decide that there's something fundamentally broken?