Re: HOLES AS CARRIERS (was Narges instead of charges?)

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Tim Folkerts wrote:

I introduce holes with a couple of (transparent) bottles of shampoo. Take
one that is mostly empty and turn is over - watch the shampoo flow down to
the bottom. Then take a nearly full bottle and turn it over - watch the
bubble rise.

Hey, I remembered something else that let me accept "hole flow." A hole
is not just a hole. Only if the p-type semiconductor was made entirely of
electron-stuff would a hole be an empty spot, and in that case the hole
would not have a positive charge.

In truth, a hole acts to "expose" the positive charge of the silicon's
protons which normally would be cancelled out. It's easy to concentrate
on the emptiness of the "hole" while forgetting that a hole is most
definitely a positive charge carrier.

Get a red and a green plastic transparancy. Superimpose them, and they
look black. Now punch a hole in the green transparancy. If the two
transparancies are now overlapped, the missing hole will look bright red.

electron + proton = neutral atom
positive + negative = zero charge
green on red gives black

neutral atom - electron = proton
neutral - negative = positive
remove the green layer from the black, you get red

If you dyed the shampoo green, then held a red transparancy behind it, the
shampoo would look black (neutral), while the rising air bubbles would be
bright red. The red transparancy symbolizes the positive atomic nuclei
and keeps us aware that a hole is not "empty."

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L