Re: Energy

Perhaps one part of the ongoing miscommunication is the notion of "pure
energy".

When I say "energy flow", do others here instead hear me saying this:

flow of "pure energy"

Is part of the feud be caused by objections NOT to the concept of "energy
flow", but instead to the concept of "PURE energy" which then flows?

E.g., I can wind up an alarm clock and throw it across the room, or I can
direct a pulse of sound or light across the room, but I can't throw "pure
energy" across the room. I can produce a flow of sound, light, or
compressed clock springs, and I can express this flow in terms of joules
per second, but I certainly cannot send "joules" across the room all by
themselves.

---

As a list moderator I'm very aware that one of the constant dangers of
email communications is to accidentally attribute base motivations to your
opponent, then to never ask about their actual motivations.

For example, when I hear someone objecting to the "energy flow" concept, I
am tempted to assume that they are really saying this:

Sound is just an abstract concept, sound does not "flow"
Light is just a mathematical invention, light cannot "move."
EM energy doesn't really exist, so it cannot "flow" down the lamp cord.
Thou shalt NEVER EVER express any of these three things in terms Watts.

One possible cure for mistaken communication is an old trick from classes
on debate: we give up our positions and argue in support of our
opponent's viewpoint. This is also a good way to detect emotional
entanglements, because when a fight becomes emotional, the opponents would
rather die than to pollute their souls by accepting the foul and
disgusting opposing viewpoint!

:)

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L