From: "Lemmerhirt, Fred" <FLemmerhirt@MAIL.WCC.CC.IL.US>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 1:12 PM
Subject: Magnitude of average velocity

. They no
doubt think, "when acceleration is constant (as it is in projectile
motion),
this is how you can calculate average velocity (in one dimension); and
speed
is the magnitude of velocity, right?"

Does anyone have a good brief intuitive explanation (for beginning
calculus-based-physics students) of the reason(s) that this doesn't
work?
(or maybe a reference to a particularly good textbook explanation)

I suppose this is a two-part problem: 1) Why is the average of the
magnitude of a vector not the same as the magnitude of the average? >
[Since this is somewhat related to the current discussion entitled
"Problem", which I haven't been following in complete detail, I hope
this
request doesn't duplicate something that was just covered there.]

Fred Lemmerhirt
Waubonsee Community College
Sugar Grove, Illinois
flemmerhirt@mail.wcc.cc.il.us