Re: What to do now

Along these same lines, you can ask questions such as those in Mazur's
"Peer Instruction" during the lecture, even if you do not use the full Peer
Instruction method, to find out the students' conceptual difficulties. If
you haven't seen these questions, they are multiple choice and usually do a
good job of eliciting students' misconceptions.

Michael Burns-Kaurin
Spelman College
Atlanta, GA

"Steven T.
Ratliff" To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
<STR@NWC.EDU> cc:
Sent by: Subject: Re: What to do now
"phys-l@lists
.nau.edu:
Forum for
Physics
Educators"
<PHYS-L

09/18/2001
02:07 PM
Please
respond to
"phys-l@lists
.nau.edu:
Forum for
Physics
Educators"

Some ideas:

Sometimes students are reluctant to ask questions. They might not know
what to ask, or they might be afraid of appearing to be stupid.

One approach is to rely more on other means. For example, you can give a
quiz (perhaps not counting towards a large part of their grade). When you
grade the quiz, you will see what areas they need help in. You can then
concentrate on those areas in your lecture.

Another idea is to hand out pieces of paper. At the end of the class give
the students a few minutes to write down any questions that they have.
Collect these papers. You can answer the questions at the start of the
next class.

Steven T. Ratliff
Professor of Physics
Northwestern College