Re: emergency egress

How would you formulate the message to express
identical concerns, Jim? I assume the essence of
John's message was perfectly clear to all of us.
Ludwik Kowalski

Jim Green wrote:

Slight physics problem: What happens to the energy when a person descends
500 meters in such a slide? I don't like the picture that is forming in my
mind: frequent arrivals of people with 3rd degree friction burns....

Third degree friction burns??? They would be burnt to a crisp.

-- You can't dump the energy into the people (they would get too hot).
-- You can't dump the energy into the slide (it would get too hot).
-- You can't make the slide conduct heat to the outside, since part of
its job is to carry people past a region of flames.....

But I continue to be disturbed at the archaic language of energy as a
substance -- One would think that physicists would try to say things
correctly. It is the business of a physicist to be precise -- We try to
teach our students precision -- Why do we cling to the past?

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen