phases of moon, earth-sun system

In order to help my students to develop an understanding of this
geometry, I ask, and then assist them in knowing how to observe, in
order to answer the question "does the moon orbit the earth in the same
or opposite direction as the earth itself rotates on its axis". Many
have trouble just knowing the direction of the earth's rotation let
alone the moon's direction of revolution even as seniors in high
school. This question, which leads to phases, eclipses, rotation of the
moon etc etc has been a good one to get the ball rolling so to speak.

David Abineri

--
David Abineri
dabineri@choice.net