From: John S. Denker [mailto:jsd@MONMOUTH.COM]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 3:11 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: little gee and its sign

[snip]

Any student who cannot distinguish statements about one
member of a class
(one particular acceleration) from generalizations about all
members of a
class (all accelerations) has a linguistic and/or conceptual
deficit of the
most profound sort. This deficit must be dealt with. It
must be dealt
with directly.

Until this deficit has been overcome, talking about physics
concepts (such
mass, force, acceleration) is hopelessly remote from the real problem.
[snip]