From: Herbert H Gottlieb
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Sent: 9/11/2001 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: Herb in NY

Thanks to all of my friends and colleagues for their
concern about my well being after the catastrophe
that occured with the terrorist bombing of New York
City today. Like yourselves, I was glued to my TV
since 9AM in New York this morning watching the
holocaust drama unfold.

Although I only live about 10 miles from downtown
Manhattan where the explosions occurred, I was
unable to hear any noise or even see any of the
smoke that was billowing from the buildings that
are still burning. The biggest problem here, at
the present time, is that there is little or no
mass transportation available and the local streets
are mostly closed off so ambulances and emergency
vehicles can get to the disaster area to help
clear the rubble and furnish aid to any survivors
as they are located.

My greatest concern today occured this afternoon
when my wife, Claire, drove to see a friend living
nearby. Although she had expected to return home
in a half hour or less, she was gone more than three
hours with no word of her whereabouts. Closed highways
and clogged side roads kept her bottled up for more
than three hours before she was able to get back
home.

Thanks again for your concern.

Herb