Re: Earth Tides

At 12:38 2001/09/07, Chuck Britton wrote:
Since the moon is 'locked in' to always face the earth, it's earth
caused bulge would be static.

Technically, the moon is not exactly "locked in", due to the ellipticity of
its orbit and other factors. For a striking visual illustration of this, visit

[http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap991108.html]

It's a several-minute download, but it's so worthwhile that I've saved a
copy of the main image (an animated gif) on my local computer.