Re: Thermodynamics

Could I get a few comments on the following phrase which I believe I heard
from a professor some years back in a stat. mech/thermo class:
(loosely quoted)
"In a container filled with a gas there is no reason that all of the air
molecules couldn't rush to one side of the container, filling half of it and
leaving the other half in a vacuum. We just never see this happen (it is
statistically too improbable)."

and then

"This is similar to saying that in a game of pool, after the 'break' all of
the balls could end up in the exact same place as they started. We never see
this happen as it is too improbable."

You could perhaps make a crude but quick estimate as follows:

POOL CASE:
1. Count the number n of balls. Say n = 20. (Sorry, I haven't played
pool in a while so I don't remember the correct figure!)

2. Estimate the number of available positions N that any one ball or
molecule could occupy. This would be something like (area of
table)/(pi*R^2) where R = radius of ball. Say area of table = 4 m^2
and R = 3 cm.

3. Estimate the probability of getting any specific desired
configuration as (1/N)^n for the pool case. (I am assuming you not
only have to get the balls back into a triangle, but in the same
order as you began with. Otherwise, multiply by n!.)

The result is prob. = 10^-63.

GAS CASE:
1. Estimate the number n of molecules. Say n = 1 mol = Avogadro's number.

2. Estimate the probability of getting half the molecules in one side
as (1/2)^n. (Classical statistics should be good enough for say a
noble gas at STP.)

The result is prob. = 2^-6e-23 = 10^-100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

Doesn't look too similar to me - the pool case is WAAAAAAAY more likely.
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026