Re: Optics Table

At 08:20 8/4/01 -0400, Richard Bowman wrote:
We are in a position to specify an optics table in a grant proposal for
educational scientific equipment. Does anyone have suggestions of brand
and type? We are interested in something that minimizes vibrations so that
holography can be done in undergraduate labs, but the table will also be
used in an upper level experimental physics course and for senior
projects.

Richard
Dr. Richard L. Bowman

Undergraduate holography can be a routinely successful lab if the
objectives are set to a suitably modest level.
In one case:
the object to be depicted was chess pawn sized,

the reference and target beam lengths were closely matched to minimize
the needed coherence length (which was about 30 cm from a HeNe laser),

the beam splitter, mirror, object table and film holder were all mounted
on a cast base which sat on an optical bench having good rubber feet,

as an extra layer of isolation, a four foot chipboard resting on a half
inflated car tire inner tube supported the bench.

Other factors: high resolution red sensitive film.
monobath develop/fix for fast results.

[With achnowlegements to the remote learning efforts of
Open University Educational Enterprises Ltd., ref ST291
12 Cofferidge Close
Stony Stratford
Milton Keynes MK11 1BY
England]