Re: Old Computers

I will second that. While old machines can be a problem, they can be a
blessing in many classrooms. Unfortunately institutional barriers are often
placed in the way. Most physics classes only need 486 with 16mbytes memory and
a 200 mbyte hard drive to run the data acquisition programs necessary for Real
Time Labs or TST labs. However some central admin. refuse to allow the physics
teachers to accept and maintain the machines themselves, even when not
connected to the net. I maintain my own machines, but they are not connected
to the school net. That is fine.

Our school will accept machines and use them as long as they meet our minimum
requirements. I recently may have lost 2 machines due to an arsonist. They
persons involved burned one classroom, and my room suffered some smoke damage.
2 of my machines do not work as a result. They were all below the minimum for
standard school use (they were the previous generation of school computers),
but they were all pentiums and could run Physlets in real time, as well as run
the LoggerPro. Unfortunately all of the other old machines also suffered
damage, so I am not sure what I will have available on the first day of classes
in August!!!

consider trying to setup a separate agency that could distribute machines on an
as is basis, with the source of the machines concealed. Perhaps the needy
teachers and the donors could put together a group which could accept the
machines and acknowledge the donors, but then distribute them without any donor
identification. Volunteers could be solicited to provide advice to the
recipients. This might be feasable through a local PC or Mac users group.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Oh, my! I spent $100 each of my OWN money buying and upgrading
486 and P75 machines last year so that my students would have computers
to use in my classroom. (I now have ten at a cost of $1,000) It truly
breaks my heart to see them thrown out. Those of you in the college ranks
routinely throw away stuff that we in high school teaching would love to
have !

Wes