Re: critical thinking - Arnold Arons

Please excuse this cross-posting to discussion lists with archives at:

POD <http://listserv.nd.edu/archives/pod.html>,
PhysLrnR <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/physlrnr.html>,
Phys-L <http://mailgate.nau.edu/archives/phys-l.html>,
PHYSHARE <http://lists.psu.edu/archives/physhare.html>,
STLHE-L <http://listserv.unb.ca/archives/stlhe-l.html>,
AERA-J <http://lists.asu.edu/archives/aera-j.html>.

In his 5/23/01 POD post Re: critical thinking, Ken Bain wrote:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
" . . . . I don't know if someone has already mentioned THE ARTICLE
THAT ARNOLD ARONS DID ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO FOR LIBERAL EDUCATION IN
WHICH HE TRIED TO IDENTIFY THE SPECIFIC REASONING ABILITIES THAT ONE
MIGHT LABEL AS CRITICAL THINKING IN PHYSICS. As a historian, I find
the list quite useful.

I've shown it to people from most disciplines, and I have yet to
encounter anyone who would say that the list does not apply, at least
in part, to their particular discipline. I'm sorry I don't have the
exact reference, but it was in Liberal Education in about 1990. It
also appeared in Aron's subsequent book on teaching physics.

It might be useful for people from various disciplines to look at the
article to see what specific reasoning abilities that they might add
or subtract for their particular discipline."

(My CAPS.)
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Arons's "Liberal Education" article is ref. 1, and his subsequent
book is ref. 2. Among other things the book contains [page numbers
in the first version of his book(2a) are followed by square bracketed
page numbers in the second version(2b)]

a. Pages 288-312 [344-374], "Achieving Wider Scientific Literacy,"
Chapter 12, based on a paper(3) originally published in Daedalus, and
containing Arons's twelve "Marks of Scientific Literacy." Arons's
important 12 "Marks" are also online in ref. 4, pages 5-7.

b. Pages 313-327 [375-392], "Critical Thinking," Chapter 13, based on ref. 1.

c. Pages 328-335 [393-404], a bibliography containing 19 [21]
references to Arons's publications on critical thinking, physics
teaching, the history of science, and the history of attempted
educational reforms.

I agree with Ken Bane that people from various disciplines might
benefit from study of Arnold Arons's papers on critical thinking. In
addition, people in science education still have a LOT to learn from
Arons. Arnold, a source of guidance and inspiration to many of us in
physics education,(5-7) recently passed away, and will be sorely
missed. One of his important messages(8) (seldom heeded) was that
teachers should "shut up and listen to their students."

Among other memorable Arons aphorisms (all in ref. 9) are:

A. "The relativistic model of instruction is based on the premise
that, if one starts with an E - N - O - R - M - O - U - S breadth of
subject matter but passes it by the student at sufficiently high
velocity, the Lorentz contraction will shorten it to the point at
which it drops into the hole which is the student mind." [For a
cartoon version see ref. 10.]

B. "But . . .(in addition to fruitful curriculum developments). . .
we have also engaged in a large number of what I will describe as
complex projects. Mathematicians among us will recognize complex
projects as the set for which costs are real and results imaginary."

Another aphorism is often credited to Arons but is due to Lee Shulman:

C. "At a meeting last summer, Lee Shulman of Stanford University put
this idea. . . (the proliferation of complex projects in education) .
. . in another form. He said that there is going to be a lot of
reinvention of the wheel. 'It is bad enough to reinvent the wheel,'
he said. 'What really hurts is when they reinvent the 'flat tire.' "

24245 Hatteras Richard Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>