Re: SR examination question

I'm back to my statement "How many physicists....."

In my mind the original question is a simple 'moving clocks run slow'
question and aimed at introductory students where the instruction and the
text on SR goes little beyond:

1) Moving clocks run slow
2) Moving masses increase
3) Moving length contract along the direction of motion

The only real problem with the original question, IMO, is that it is not
100% clear that Peter is moving and Jane is at rest although that (again to
me) is clearly the intent. Once that is clearly established, then Peter's
watch reads less elapsed time than Jane's--'classic' twins-paradox stuff.
All the other fussing that has gone on in this thread seems to be ignoring
the context of the course for which it surely was intended. Of course this
is not the first (or last) time a topic that started out as a discussion for
a H.S. or College intro course has turned into a free-for-all at the
theoretical dissertation level. ;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Instructional Software
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara

Win9.x, WinNT/2000, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, and PowerMac
New: Updated versions of the Energy Simulators
Windows and Mac CD-ROMs now available.