[no subject]

Oops! Re the following in my previous post, I should have
said that the direction o f the force
vector can't be chosen arbitrarily. It's determined
by the standard model of kinetic friction. The frictional
part of the force
is determined by the standard model of kinetic friction.
There are two possible angles for the total force,
depending on the direction of motion.

John Denker wrote:
>I made a diagram that may help:
> http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/pool.gif
>You can calculate the horizontal component of the force. You can calculate
>the torque. Plug in and turn the crank.
There's nothing wrong with the diagram, but the direction of the force
vector can't be chosen arbitrarily. It's determined
(up to a sign) by the standard model of kinetic friction.