Re: conceptual vs. QPS,was AP Physics Students

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Michael N. Monce wrote:
What do we do? I really think the key to whole situation is the
suggestion that physics *must* start earlier in the students education.
This subject is just too much to take for
the average student in such a short exposure time.

The nature of existing courses designed for scientists and engineers
may be also acting to screen out those who do not wish to invest the
level of intensive effort required (such as elementary school teachers).

The effort of colleges to meet this need seems to be growing. Is this
where "studio physics" could belong? Is this the place for "Physics-A".
Such courses would balance "what to know" and "how to investigate" so
that a rudimentary awareness of physics content and methods are spread?

"Like a prize fighter..going from bell to bell": I need to get in my
corner!

Tim