Re: AP Students

I may be simplifying things a bit, but it seems to me that, relatively
speaking, an effective conceptually-oriented course should produce good
FCI results, and an effective quantitatively-oriented course should
produce good AP exam results. A mismatching between the approach and
the assessment would nullify the value of the assessment. Thus,
I maintain my position that, from a PRACTICAL point of view, this IS an
issue of which approach to use. Beyond this, the argument becomes
PHILOSOPHICAL.

Jack seems to be arguing that questions relating more directly to
conceptual foundations somehow represent a truer "understanding of
physical principles," than do questions requiring applied quantitative
reasoning. My position on this is, again, a balanced one. A complete
"understanding of physical principles" requires both aspects. I do not
see one as more important or fundamental to the character of physics than
the other. I advocate that a student's introduction to physics should
include both aspects. Where this is not possible, I see the choice as
being one between two equally vaid approaches depending on the needs of
the particular student. Of course, the assessment used should be properly
matched to the approach chosen. Thus, the question of which assessment is
"better" boils down to the personal choice (philosophical and/or
practical) of which approach is used in the course.

Best wishes,
Mike Ugawa
St. Ignatius College Prep
San Francisco

But Mike, it's not a "conceptual vs. quantititve issue". It's
an issue of whether a high grade on an AP test is a better indicator of
an understanding of physical principles than is a substantial improvement
of an fci score.
Regards,
Jack

* *
* MICHAEL B. UGAWA *
* *
* PHYSICS * CHEMISTRY * COMPUTER SCIENCE *
* *
* EDUCATING THE YOUTH OF TODAY *
* TO FACE THE CHALLENGES OF THE NEW MILLENIUM *
* *
* mugawa@quark.sfsu.edu *
* *