nor yet bounce off the baize.
2) That the approach angle to the normal and the departure angle
were fairly similar.
3) that there was maximal speed conservation.
So these are my assumptions for the pool table too.
And I assume that these constraints can be met by the usual
cushion height ratio.

At 09:43 4/22/01 -0700, Ben Crowell responded:

#3 would be extremely difficult to measure with the technology of
centuries ago, nor would there be any easy way to measure the
amount of kinetic energy that was retained (which is not
the same thing). ...

Interesting point that Ben makes: that terminal speed is not
a total measure of kinetic energy in a constant mass.
This might be called the Galilean error that Ben is pointing to,
and I think it bears some examination.

The quantitive analysis is unhelful if the conceptual underpinning
of the model is incomplete, as I expect Ben believes it is.

So here's a suggestion.
Though a billiard ball can be hit with top, side or back spin,
assume a diagonal cushion hit is from a ball with rotation due only
to unslipping movement of the contact patch with the baize.

I expect that there is some upward precession of the horizontal spin
axis nearer the cushion towards the vertical, which effects a
forward roll along the compressed cushion during the rebound.

This is a rather different effect from the "cancelling" frictional
effect Ben has in mind.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!