Re: torque on airplanes.

John S. Denker [mailto:jsd@MONMOUTH.COM]wrote:

The fundamental laws of physics do _not_ impose any relevant limitations
on
the acceleration. However, particular designs may have limitations. I've
never done the experiment, but I'm told that if you mishandle the engine
controls on a P-51 Mustang at very low speeds you can lose control of the
yaw axis. (It's got a huge turbocharged engine, a huge propeller, and
only
modest amounts of rudder authority at low speeds.)

The student has little to worry about; nobody is going to turn him loose
in a P-51.

Just as a note,
this happens frequently for the radio controlled airplanes that I fly. The power
to weight ratio for these planes is typically absurd compared to a full size
plane (2 HP on a 5 pound plane). Novice RC pilots who bring a plane into the
air under full power with low airspeed usually experience a "ground loop" (half
loop ,half roll, lots of pieces).

Scott

--

S.Goelzer