Re: torque on airplanes.

At 21:54 4/12/01 -0400, John Denker wrote:

During the slow take off phase, this means there is much more thrust
available, so that for a given mass flow through the prop disk, there is
more airflow acceleration than in faster phases of flight.

False.

Design engineering being open to experimental verification, this looks
like an excellent proposition for an experimental validation or rebuttal,
to avoid a needless conflict of opinion.
These days, the GPS can provide very reasonable data streams on
position and velocity to a laptop.
Using a constant speed prop, I expect John could provide us with support
for his always interesting opinions.
Does the velocity profile of such a plane show constant thrust,
decreasing thrust, or (as I suppose it will) an initially increasing
thrust (until the prop unstalls) and thereafter decreasing thrust through
increasing airspeeds?

Go for it!

:-)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK