Re: on computers in the classroom

Let me get this straight. Some of us are suggesting students should bring
$2000 laptops to class so we can "beam them" or "wire them" our handouts
instead of generating paper copies? Give me a break.

I hand out printed copies because I believe that is currently
expected/required. I also convert my handouts to PDF format and put these
on a website. That way students can read/get a copy if they lost or didn't
get my printed copy. But they don't do this during class. They can use
whatever computer they have, or if they don't have one they can go to any
one of several computer labs on campus.

Even then (with only a few students doing it) we indeed have complaints from
some computer-lab gurus that students are printing handouts that should be
reproduced on photocopiers or Risographs. This is certainly true. Ink-jet
and even laser printers are not generally intended to handle the throughput
required if significant numbers of students print handouts that could
otherwise be duplicated on machines meant for mass duplication.

So far I have only read a couple descriptions of "in class" projects with
laptops that I would consider worthwhile. Until I see more, the expense of
acquiring and bringing the laptops to class does not seem justified.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817