From: "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 07:27 AM
Subject: Re: emf, potential, voltage

4) Suppose I have a motor, and I apply 115V(AC RMS) to its terminals.
Then
the average emf across its terminals is 115V. That tells me the emf,
not
the back emf. If I measure the current under these conditions, that
gives
me one point on the I-V curve. Call this point (V1,I1). One point is
not
enough; I need another point in order to pin down the first-order
properties of this device.

To get a second data point, I briefly open-circuit the terminals. The
still-spinning motor will act like a generator. It will produce a
certain
voltage (i.e. emf) on its terminals. This is the open-circuit
voltage. Call this point (V0,I0) where I0=0 and V0 is called the "back
emf".

Given these two points, (V1,I1) and (V0,I0), we can draw a straight line
and have a nice first-order model of the behavior of the device.