Re: Boiling

I think Jim's indignation was that the latest definition (#3 quoted by
Brian) happened half a century ago and the physics books still say water
boils at 100 degrees C. Yes, the true value is close to 100, but the fact
that it isn't exactly 100 ought to be in the physics books; Jim shouldn't
be forced to go to a PChem book for this.

But I would add that Serway does address this, so maybe Jim's sample of
current physics texts was too small.
"T_c_ = T -273.15" and

Halliday/Resnick/Walker(6 th) also cover it, in table 19-1 as a
footnote to the table. Also the text introduces Celsius and
Fahrenheit scales based on Kelvin, absolute zero, and the triple
point of water.

They do not (to my knowledge) give any of the history.
--
Dr. Vern Lindberg 716-475-2546
Department of Physics Fax 475-5766