Ice cream sodas

Forgive my ignorance, but the day some chemistry students were making ice cream sodas (dropping ice cream into some cola) and noted that when the ice cream hits the soft drink it rapidly "fizzes" up. They were curious about the cause of this sudden gas evolution as the same thing did not occur when blocks of ice were dropped into a drink. This, they reasoned, excludes temperature as being the only mechanism involved when the ice cream was added. After consulting my fellow teachers the best we could summize was that the rapidly melting ice cream my provide sites of nucleation. We were uncertain about this as we are more familiar with nucleation as an explanation in the process of boiling. Could anyone set us right?

Peter Craft
Corowa High School
Down Under.

WANT A NEW JOB? THEN LET THE JOB FIND YOU

Visit www.ecruit.com.au and register your
profile. Then the headhunters can find you.

Get your own free email account at
http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
http://www.webuser.com.au