Re: A funny capacitor.

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese wrote:

P.s. Isn't arguing that a capr. will attract a conducting plate, as
described, means the capce. will increase, assume the (correct) answer? (I.
e. circular reasoning)

Good point! I'd missed that. From experience (experiment) I know that a
conductive object or a dielectric object in that situation will be
attracted. The rest of my reasoning is built on that idea. Thus I have
no way to calculate the capacitance or even the attraction force, I just
know its sign. Also, others cannot use my arguments if they have no
reason to believe that the extra metal plate would be attracted.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L