Re: Pulleys (Spanish rig?)

Some YEARS ago Leigh Palmer posted an ascii sketch of an unusual
arrangement of pulleys.

I BELIEVE that he referred to it as some 'Spanish' variant of the
more usual block and tackle.

Anyway you could dredge it up again, Leigh?

My mail from those years is on another machine.

I'm afraid I don't remember it. It wasn't a Spanish windlass,
was it? That's not pulleys, of course.

The item I might have touted is the differential hoist. It
uses three pulleys, two of which are connected so that they
rotate about a common axis at the same rate, but they have
slightly different radii. A continuous loop of chain runs
around all three pulleys in the usual device.

This leads me to ask a question, perhaps of Dan. Will it be
possible to include very small drawings (say 64 kilobytes
or less) in postings to phys-l sometime in the near future?
They can be pasted right into the text in mail programs
like the free version of Eudora 5.0. It sure would be
helpful to be able to do so.

Leigh