From: "John Barrer" <forcejb@YAHOO.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: Mpemba effect" ??

Another example. I once lived in an area where many
houses had been built with skimpy insulation. On one
very cold night, I had a (hot) water line freeze and
burst. A plumber neighbor claimed that this was
"always" the case - the HW pipe would often be frozen
while the CW would be OK. I thought at the time that
maybe this was b/c some of the dissolved minerals in
the feedwater tend to be deposited on the internal
surface of the domestic water heater, but then some
calculations showed the differential effect on
freezing point depression to be awfully small. Any
other experiences with frozen pipes? John Barrere Apex
HS