Re: heat is "real", but...

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Larry Woolf wrote:

"When you grasp that heating is a way of doing something and abandon all
attempts to identify heat as an entity, especially a vague, metaphysical,
even paranormal entity, you can think more clearly about thermodynamic
problems. We know of no examples in which invoking a mythical substance
called heat leads to increased physical understanding."

Hmmm. Sounds like a straw man argument. And should we also say that
sound is "not a noun," and neither is light, because there are no mythical
SUBSTANCES called sound or light?

But who insists that "heat" is a substance? Perhaps words are being put
into the mouths of the "heat believers" to make their viewpoint look
foolish. Heat is only "substance-like" in that it is a conserved
quantity in some circumstances.

If heat is a conserved quantity, define heat and the conservation law that
it obeys. Bohren's point is that almost all situations can be better
described by using temperature instead of heat. Temperature is well
defined. Heat is not.

Dr. Lawrence D. Woolf; Phone: (858)-455-4475; www.sci-ed-ga.org
General Atomics; 3550 General Atomics Court; San Diego CA 92121-1194